Monday 4 May 2009

In the Jungle, the Mighty Jungle!

Well, well, well ... it's funny how things turn out ...

27 years ago, I remember standing in front of the TV with my little tape recorder and recording various songs from Top Of The Pops .. things like "What's the Matter You, Hey!" and the Gumbay Dance Band with "Seven Tears are Flowing to the River ..." and all that jazz ... hey, come on, it WAS 27 years ago!

Well, one band had a hit in 1982 which was called "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". To save you struggling for the name, it was Tight Fit! I am not too proud to admit that i LOVED that song when it came out - Africa & Lions were a real attraction to me as a young kid.

Imagine my complete and utter "gobsmackedness" when, through the power of the Internet, one of the original Tight Fit members found my website during her search for a photographer. It seems that they are have a little get together again and doing a number of gigs around the country over the next few months. Denise told me that they needed a photographer who would give them something that was a cross between lifestyle & commercial and could I help!

Needless to say, I jumped at the chance and we arranged the shoot for last Monday - unfortunately, it happened to be the worst day of weather for about a week and absolutely tipped it down all day long - it was relentless. So, our options were limited and we ended up having to do the whole shoot in an underground car park, of all places.

So, without further ado, here is what we came up with. I was stood in the pouring rain, with an umbrella over me, whilst the girls and boys did their funky stuff in the cover of the car park.

You have to admit, almost 30 years on, they all look fantastic!!!

Denise, Steve & Julie - the original line-up:

Sylvio will be standing in for Steve for a few of the gigs:





Using the "props" in the the car park:

.. and finally, trying to use the "grunge" to best effect:


All in all, it was a tough shoot, in terms of location and weather, but i think we managed nicely! We were all happy with the end result and that's what counts!

2 comments:

Sofie said...

OMG! I thought I was the only one to stand in front of the tv recording songs with my tape recorder!! LOL! Love the backlight on the last shot!

Unknown said...

still a great song ;-)

Cool....

Matt Pereira Photography
All images and content are the intellectual property of Matt Pereira and are protected by copyright.
Please do not steal or borrow without written permission - it's not very nice.